A Study Of Colonial Constructions And Buildings For The Administrative Facility Of Tiruchirappalli


  • S. Nallathambi
  • S. Xavier


Colonial, British, Catholic, Carnatic, Tranquebar, East India Company


Tiruchirappalli is served as a different type of headquarter from the ancient period to the modern. In the 17th century C.E. Tiruchirappalli became headquarter of Madurai Nayak. As per the treaty of Carnatic, Tiruchirappalli was transferred to English in
August 1801, John Wallace, an English Collector was appointed by East India Company. Then Tiruchirappalli became headquarter of a modern district. Tiruchy is the most prominent municipal corporation and the fourth major urban agglomeration in the state. Ample opportunities are available in the Tiruchirappalli District to witness these marvelous artistic features. Therefore, this region is having wide scope for the study of fine arts and architectural beauty. Several buildings were constructed through the ages for developmental and political purposes in this district. Railway Junction building, Ponmalai Railway Workshop and other premises, educational institutes like St Joseph’s College, Bishop Heber College, popular Christian churches, Court building, Central Prison, and other buildings are to be studied as the remains of colonial memories. These buildings are very good from an architectural point of view, large and impressive. This paper highlights the colonial constructions and buildings which were serving as the centres of the administrative facilities in the Tiruchirappalli District 




How to Cite

S. Nallathambi, & S. Xavier. (2023). A Study Of Colonial Constructions And Buildings For The Administrative Facility Of Tiruchirappalli. Elementary Education Online, 17(4), 2242–2257. Retrieved from https://ilkogretim-online.org/index.php/pub/article/view/943